Friday, September 4, 2020

August Recap and September TBRs

As I am officially out of my reading slump, I am going to try something new. I am going to start doing a recap and of the previous month and a TBR for the next month.  Ideally, this would be posted on the first of the month, but I know me.  My goal is to post it by the 5th. So, we'll see how this goes.

Here's a quick recap of August:

After over 10 years of one of my long-time friends pestering me to read the Dragonlance Chronicles by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman, I finally gave it a go.  I technically started in July, but as I didn't finish the first book until August, I'll count it for August.  I finished the first two and got 90% through the third one before September. Overall, I enjoyed them, but didn't love them.  They were entertaining, even though they did not have a lot of depth. I can definitely see why my friend loves them. The reviews for the first two are posted and I am hoping to get the review for the final one up within the next few days.
Dragons Of Autumn Twilight - (Dragonlance Novel: Dragonlance Chronicles  (Paperback)) By Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Paperback) : Target

I also started the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  Again, I started Eye of the World in July, but didn't finish until August, so I'm counting it! I also read The Great Hunt.  I loved both of these books and have a strong feeling that this will become one of my favorite all time series.  It still baffles me how I have not come across these books sooner!
The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)

Now time for my September TBR:

        Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook
As we are already a few days into September, I finished Dragons of Spring Dawning completing the original trilogy and started and finished Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook by Christina HenryNow it's time to plan what the rest of the month has in store!

The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
Of course, I will be continuing the Wheel of Time Series with The Dragon Reborn.  This will be ongoing for fourteen books! In addition to that, I am going to make it my goal to read five other books.

Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1)
First is Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo. I know, I know! It's middle grade.  But I have reasons! I started the series when it first came out, but outgrew it before it was finished.  I need resolution.

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Naturally, To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini makes the list.  This is his first full length novel since 2011 and it is his debut sci-fi novel. And it is a TOME.  I loved the Inheritance Cycle, although I do understand it's criticisms.  I am pumped to see how Paolini has grown as an author and how he does with sci-fi.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things
I am really starting to like audiobooks. The next one I will be listening to is I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid.  Has anyone heard of Caravan? It's a website to find and join book clubs and they have a Discord server for discussion.  Well, since joining that site, I haven't stopped hearing about this book.  I have high hopes for it.

Peter Darling
Speaking of Caravan... In one of the clubs I am in focused on LGBTQ writers and books, the pick of the month is Peter Darling by Austin Chant.  Yes, I do realize its another Peter Pan book, but I love Neverland, okay? Although this book is only three years old, it is already out of print so it is really hard to find, but I got my hands on a PDF.  I'll keep you posted on my thoughts of this retelling.

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
If I finish all of these, that would make a total of seven books finished in the month of September.  As I like even numbers, I'm going to throw an eighth book in there as a bonus book.  That will be American Gods by Neil Gaiman. He is another author that is considered to be a must read, that I haven't touched. I don't know what to expect with this book.  Many love it, many don't. If I get to this bonus book this month, we'll see which side I fall on.

With a grand total of eight books on my September TBR list and six remaining, I should have a busy month ahead of me! By the way, this is the most organized my TBR list has ever been...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

  Title: The Alloy of Law Author: Brandon Sanderson Format:  Audiobook Narrator:  Michael Kramer Genre:  YA Fantasy, NA Fantasy, High Fantas...